Find out what craft beer events are happening in Connecticut this weekend, and other bites and flights-related news you don't want to miss, in Five Things Friday, the new Friday feature 'round these parts.
TGIF! I've decided to do an overhaul of my usual Friday events post and run a new feature called "Five Things Friday," which covers weekend events, plus beer and food news, and other stories that caught my eye this week. Cheers!
1. The taproom at Bad Sons Beer Co. is officially open!
The people who brought you SBC Restaurant and Brewery welcome you to check out their new venture, Bad Sons Beer Co. in Derby. I can tell that Bad Sons will quickly become a favorite destination this summer – food trucks, lawn games and, of course, what promises to be some great beer.
2. Connecticut vs. Maine lobster rolls
Conde Nast Traveler has decided to tackle the debate between Connecticut (hot and buttered) vs Maine (cold and mayo'd) lobster rolls by simply educating readers about the differences. As a lobster roll connoisseur, I can tell you that Connecticut lobster rolls are definitively better – my favorites come from Bill's Seafood, Seven Seas and Lenny & Joe's. However, the Maine lobster roll I had at the Thirsty Whale in Bar Harbor was very good (but not as good as a hot lobster roll).
3. "Lots of 'craft' beer is brewed by Anheuser-Busch. Here's how to spot the real stuff" via the Washington Post
Good to know.
4. Sign up for the Craft Brew 5K + Festival!
It's coming to New Haven on Aug. 5. Here's my recap of last year's race and festival!
5. This weekend's craft beer events (plus a wine festival)
Finally, a quick look at what's going on this weekend in the craft beer world (plus a flight of a different kind – wine):
- Brews and BBQ Festival (Saturday)
- Cornhole Tournament at Shebeen Brewing Co. (Saturday)
- Connecticut Wine Festival (Saturday and Sunday)
- Poses 2 Pints Yoga Class at Two Roads (Sunday)
YOUR TURN: Connecticut or Maine lobster roll? Discuss.