Find out what craft beer events are happening in Connecticut this weekend, and other brews and food-related news you don't want to miss, in Five Things Friday, the new Friday feature 'round these parts.
TGIF! Here's a roundup of weekend events, plus beer and food news, and other stories and thoughts I wanted to share with you, my valued readers, as we head into the weekend. Cheers!
1. Did you sign up for the Craft Brew Races 5K + Beer Fest yet?!
The New Haven race and festival is Saturday! What are you waiting for?! I can't do it this year due to a family obligation, but here's a recap of the 2016 event. I do plan to run the Shore 2 the Pour race later this month.
2. Happy birthday, Mr. (former) President!
That's right – Barry O turns the big 5-6 today. In 2011, he became the first president to make beer at the White House. The result was the White House Honey Ale and the White House Honey Porter. Hope he gets to relax and enjoy a cold one (or two) today!
Bonus: Here are 15 instances of Obama enjoying beer.
Beer drinking is on the decline in Japan, so Sapporo is trying to expand its presence in the U.S. by purchasing San Francisco-based Anchor Brewing, one of the country's original craft breweries. Hm...
4. A new appreciation for Brewery Ommegang
I finally joined modern times and started watching Game of Thrones (I'm midway through Season 3 at the time of this writing). Now I want to go back to Cooperstown and go to Brewery Ommegang to get a close-up look at their GOT beers. Or I could probably find some Bend the Knee somewhere around here. I'm on the hunt.
5. What's happening this weekend:
A few things (in addition to Saturday's Craft Brew Race):
- All weekend – the patio's open at Black Hog Brewing Company! Now you can sip on some Granola Brown Ale on ample seating outside the brewery.
- Saturday – Lobster Bake with Boothbay Lobster Company at Two Roads: $45 gets you your first beer and a lobster bake dinner.
- Saturday – THIMBIBE Beer Festival at Thimble Island Brewing Company: Live music, food trucks and discounted drafts. Tickets are $10.
- Sunday – Bags, Bells and Brews with DuVig Brewing Company and Quest Fitness: Earn a flight with a calorie-torching workout involving kettlebells, sandbags, TRX and more!
- Sunday – TAP at Two Roads Workout Class: Take a full-body, functional movement and core conditioning class; refuel with a pint afterwards!
- Bonus! Monday – Eli Cannon's 8th Annual Charity Beer Fest: A beer festival on a Monday – for a good cause, no less!