Find out what craft beer events are happening in Connecticut this weekend, and other brews and food-related news you don't want to miss, in Five Things Friday!
TGIF! Here's a roundup of weekend events, plus beer and food news, and other stories and thoughts I wanted to share with you as we head into the weekend. Cheers!
The 3-mile race on the sand benefits supports the AudubonCT Stratford Point Initiative. I'll be there! You can sign up in-brewery at Two Roads today between 5 and 8 p.m. (Bonus: The Green Grunion will be slinging burritos tonight).
This is on Tuesday – my uncle-in-law is raising money for the Closer to Free bike ride in September. One hundred percent of the proceeds from Closer to Free benefit research and patient care at Smilow Cancer Hospital and Yale Cancer Center. On Tuesday, Aug. 29, No Worries will donate 20 percent of sales to the ride (and therefore to Smilow). Come and enjoy a pint or two and some Q Haven BBQ!
Sen. Richard Blumenthal wants to hear from local breweries about whether or not they feel squeezed by the recent $106 billion merger of Anheuser-Busch and SABMiller. The merger means the new behemoth will control half the market and could threaten small, independent breweries by pressuring distributors to drop their beer, or increase the price of ingredients.
5. This weekend's beer events
Check out what's going on:
- New Haven Craft Beer Fest – Saturday marks downtown New Haven's very first craft beer festival. The event caps New Haven Craft Beer Week. Twenty-four breweries, food, games and music in the heart of New Haven!
- Celebrate two years with Cold Creek Brewery – Cold Creek is marking it second anniversary Saturday with pizza, music, giveaways and, of course, beer!
- Chugga Chugga Brew Brew – Craft beer, arts and music at the Railroad Museum of New England.
- Black Hog turns 3! – We've got another anniversary to celebrate on Sunday, when Black Hog Brewing Co. will mark three years!
- Barre at the Brewery – Sweat it out with a Barre class that works your abs, glutes, thighs and more, and then follow it up with a pint, wine, coffee or hard cider at Hog River Brewing.
Have a great weekend, friends!